Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Professional way to hide wires?

Michael Mostachetti

Oct 28, 2014
Hey there,

I'm working on a marquee project(pictures below) and I have a string of wires behind the marquee that I think looks rather ugly. Has anyone on her hidden wires before? I'm sure I could try to wrap them in zip-ties or electrical tape, but I still don't think that would look clean enough.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3216.JPG
    IMG_3216.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 145

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hey there,

I'm working on a marquee project(pictures below) and I have a string of wires behind the marquee that I think looks rather ugly. Has anyone on her hidden wires before? I'm sure I could try to wrap them in zip-ties or electrical tape, but I still don't think that would look clean enough.

Cheers and thanks for the help.
A deeper enclosure to completely cover the light fixtures and wires.
Because you have excess wire between the lights, it will be difficult to merely wrap them in tape and have it look good... Is it possible to remove the back of the light fixture to reposition the wire? That alone will cut down on significant clutter and help it look a little nicer.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Not sure if this is what you want, but... you can get a cool wire bundling system that consists of a plastic tube that has been helically cut, so you can unwind it and it wraps itself around your wires. If you fold back the excess wire between connection points, you can cover the wire with this stuff and it will look reasonably tidy. But "tidy" is relative.

Here's a link to the helically cut plastic solution. It sounds like the company may have other solutions you could look into. http://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/spiral-cut-cable-wrap-dimensions-table.html

Michael Mostachetti

Oct 28, 2014
Thanks for the input! I'll look into the wire bundles and possibly find another manufacturer to make a bigger enclosure! Cheers.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd consider just mounting a shallow rear cover over the wires, fastened to the main marquee chassis.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I like the spiral cut wire loom. I also like the black 'split loom tubing'. The spiral cut stuff will work better if you have lots of curves as the latter wants to open when bent at sharp angles. Your local automotive store should have this stuff, if not check your local Radio Shack cell phone outlet.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The connectors look like they use some sort of insulation displacement connection. I would take a close (possibly destructive) look at one to see if I could remove the wire and reposition it so it was *just* long enough to reach between the connectors.

I would also consider a back plate (or something) so that the wires were not visible from the front (which may be @shrtrnd's idea). In some respects, as it is now, cable ties may not look any worse than spiral cut tubing.