Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem with my EMP project

wiredshark

Oct 20, 2013
Hi guys, I started a science fair project for school I'm making a EMP, I tried to follow those instructions
and everything is working for now but since yesterday I have a problem, I block at the step 13, I don't know where and how to put the load of coil ^^ (Sorry for my bad english it's not my primary language), I put some pictures in my post :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi
welcome to the forums :)

the pic for step 13 shows it connected directly across the terminals of the capacitor

your pic 1 show the coil you have made ... what sort of wire have you used ?
should have been plain enamel coated wire .... yours looks like screened audio cable ?

Dave

wiredshark

Oct 20, 2013
Hi dave thank you for your responce,
I used hookup wire from radioshak, it's 18 gauge.
And it's what I tried but it's not working, but I don't think it's from the circuit because the flash is woking (while I did the test I took of the flash, I don't know if it's change something).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If the flash is working your circuit won't.

You probably should place your coil in series with the flash tube. And I agree it looks like shielded cable.

Be VERY careful. Touch the live part of this circuit, and whilst it *could* kill you, it is more likely to give you a very powerful jolt that will cause you to say words which will earn you 1000 years of detention.

The coil is placed in series with the flash tube so you can use the flash tube as a switch. Between 50A and 100A flows through the flash tube at the peak of the discharge. Try finding a 500V 100A switch!

The trigger button should be a momentary contact button. Beware that it is connected to a smaller capacitor also holding 100V or more. You can get a bit of a tingle from that too.

I advise you to discharge the main capacitor before you handle the board. This can be as simple as using a screwdriver. Once you've done that a few times with a fully charged cap, you'll probably come back and ask us how to build something a little less pyrotechnic (it's better for the cap as well as your screwdrivers)

wiredshark

Oct 20, 2013
Hi Steve :)

What I did first was to take off the flash tube and replace it with the cable but I had 2 problems, first I had 3 cable, 1 orange 1 red that are connected to the lamp and 1 white behind connect to the metal part behind everything so I didn't know which one to take after I tried to directly connect the cable to the condenser but it didn't work neither so I'm lost, my calculator is still alive and very healthful ^^
But thank you for your help :)

ps: yeah I just got a eletric shock... :p

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you replace the flash tube with the cable (I assume you mean the coil) you will be shorting out the main cap so it's not going to work.