Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem With Bicycle Generator that Charges My Phone

Bike Generator Girl

Jun 1, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am creating a bicycle generator that charges your phone while you are biking. This product will allow you to charge your phone using the energy that you create while biking. When you are biking the speed that you are riding at will define how much and how fast your phone will charge... this can be effected by gear change. If you tend to ride at a slower pace, but you ride far, your phone will charge just at a slower rate. so far the DC motor/generator is generating 6-12 volts depending on how fast you ride the bike.
Right now, the energy that is created while biking is transferred into 4 double AA rechargeable batteries (6 volts total) that I mounted onto my bike. My ultimate goal is to have the energy that is in the batteries to get transferred into my phone by wires connected to a USB port.
The problem is that the batteries are not charging with the circuit that is set up, therefore we are not able to transfer the energy that I create while biking to my phone? There might be another step or two to this that I was not aware of. For example, here is the schematic that we think is correct. Please help me out with this problem. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 10.27.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 10.27.59 AM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 70

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Hi, welcome to Electronicspoint.

f the generator is indeed putting out > 6V you should get some charging of the batteries. Perhaps you expectation of how long it will take is just off a bit.

Do you have access to a multimeter? If so, use it to measure the current when the batteries should be charging.

By the way, 4 AA rechargeable batteries is likely 4.8V, not 6V.

Bob