Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem with 30 PIN IC

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
I am building a radio using a now discontinued 30 pin IC.

I do not have a 30 pin socket to mount the IC. They are not for sale on Ebay.

My plan was to solder individual solid core wires to the pins I am interested in, and then to use glue to hold the attached wiring in place. Ugly but I just want it to work.

However, even when using a strong LED light during soldering, my finest soldering tip and plenty of patience, the wires keep breaking when I move onto the next wire. Embarrased to post a photo of my soldering effort using the solid core wire to the IC pins.

So now I am thinking of using that soft and twisty 'multistrand' copper wire, wrapping it round each IC pin and then soldering the wires on before using narrow gauge heatshrink to prevent solder bridges and insulate it all.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I have found this oestensibly simple task to be distinctly non-trivial. Is plan B misguided?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Get some SIP sockets and chop them to length. Use one for each size of your socket.

Here's enough for 400 pins!

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
First off, 30-pin dip sockets are available from major supply houses. EBay is not usually my first choice for quality electronic components. Here is one listing from DigiKey: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/117-93-430-41-005000/ED22304-ND/67196

Those are machined pins, so they are quite expensive. You can also buy similar pins in DIP "carriers", pre-drill your PCB for 30, and insert only the length you need.

You can cut longer sockets to length as needed. Finally, the fact that you have a socket with 32 pins, 36 pins, or whatever doesn't mean that a pin has to go into each location. The unused locations are not necessarily wasted space either. The non-filled locations can be used for jumpers to set variables for your circuit or other purposes.

John

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, my intent was not to suggest a supplier, but to quickly find a picture of them.

They are useful for creating odd sockets.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
The pin carriers to which I referred are a little different.than the sip pins. There is no insulation between the individual pins. In fact, for every one I have seen, the carrier was aluminum.

Capture.PNG

They not only allow any size socket, but they are very low profile. They fit in well with mixed TH and SMD construction. That is a DigiKey part, but it is something I have also bought from flea market sources.

John

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
Many thanks. Great to have access to sensible advice when I get fixated on doing something the hard way :D