Maker Pro
Maker Pro

problem solving

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The second one is especially nice - though not helpful for finding the right questions.
I have a few candidates at hand for this chart...

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
I was thinking of showing people the best way of aaking for help in repair/troubleshooting was asking them the following questions.
what is the device?
where are pictures/ schematics?
who made the device/schematics?
why do you think its not working?
when did it stop working?
how have you tested it so far?

but I feel I am missing something in there

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yeah good thoughts mate it seems we all over and over again repeat the same ol' 20 questions just to get an idea of what is going on

that second pic is an oldie but a goodie. I used to have it up on the wall of a previous place of employment.
Usually generated a laugh or 2

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I was thinking of showing people the best way of aaking for help in repair/troubleshooting was asking them the following questions.
what is the device?
where are pictures/ schematics?
who made the device/schematics?
why do you think its not working?
when did it stop working?
how have you tested it so far?

but I feel I am missing something in there

so elaborations....

what is the device? ---- full make and model
where are pictures/ schematics? --- have you googled for a service manual ?
why do you think its not working? ---- ie. what fault symptoms is it showing ?
when did it stop working? ---- eg. during a thunderstorm or a power cut ?
how have you tested it so far? --- even basic tests -- fuses, Low voltage DC rails tests

Dave

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
add to the test question, multimeter, osciliiscope.
add to the when question was there anything noticable like fire/smoke, a loud bang, a soft bang. the house lights went out due to a short
and for the pictures.... blurry gives blurry answers. we can guess, but if the picture is really bad our answer is at best a guess. and an uneducated one too

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
... and when you're through putting all that information together it may even no longer be necessary to askt the question at all - some questions answer themselves during this process.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hey maybe we need something like this:

https://www.electronicspoint.com/help-have-fault-read-me-first-t221134.html

Davenn, if you want to update it, feel free. The main problem is that nobody bothers to read it.

lol .... I dont think I have seen it before ... duh

OK, we need to make that thread better known by aiming people to it like we do for the using LED's and other help threads

So for that to be more successful, us more seasoned ones on here, you, me, Ian, coca cola, Harald etc etc need to make a concious effort to send people there or at the very least just do a quick copy and paste of its contents into a repair help thread.

cheers
Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Appreciate your input donkey

think have a read of that thread that steve linked to, and then looking at your posts above think about any holes that need to be filled in the help list :)

cheers
Dave

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
New users could be E-mailed the tip-page as part of the registration procedure. No guarantee they will read it, but they can't excuse themselves later.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
only reason I am giving input on this is I see 1 or 2 people post topics and then get irritated when we can't help because we haven't got the whole story.....