Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Preventing a 4013 'Setting' on Power Up

PastySmuggler

Dec 3, 2011
Hi folks!

I'm using a 4013 to take a push button input to start a motor (driven through a BC107 transistor). The Q O/P also switches on an I/R photo interrupter. When the motor turns, a paddle will break the interrupter beam. This output generates a rising edge which is connected to the clock input of the 4013 and resets it, switching the motor off.

All this works - BUT! Because the clock input has a pull-up resistor, it always sets the FF on power up. I want to stop this happening, but can't think of a way of doing this without putting in a reset switch!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Steve taught me this trick, Use an RC circuit to keep the clock input low for a few (m)seconds after initial power-up. It might help to see a schematic of what you have.

The 4013 has a set pin, are you using this pin at all? again a schematic of what you have would help

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4013.htm
SET input: The SET input is normally held LOW. When it is pulsed HIGH, the outputs of the bistable are forced immediately to the SET state, , .

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In this case. probably pull the set or reset pin (whichever is appropriate) high via an RC during power up.

PastySmuggler

Dec 3, 2011
Many thanks for those ideas. I've actually solved the problem myself - the 'how' in a mo!

Yes - I'm using the 'set' input for the input from the push button switch. The 'clock' input is used to reset the FF when the paddle interrupts the IR sensor!

It occurred to me that, since I only ever use the clock pulse to switch the Q output off (it's set ON by the switch to the SET input), instead of linking the QBar O/P to the Data I/P (the cause of my problem!), if I tied the Data I/P low, any clock pulse will always try to turn the Q O/P off! Tried this evening - and it works a treat!

Many thanks!!