Connect with us

Pretty dumb rewiring question

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Oct 17, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I have what I think is a really basic rewiring question that I hope
    someone who knows more than me can help me out with.

    My sister bought me a beautiful lamp in the UK that I have coverted for
    a while, but the problem is that I live in the US. (Read - I can't
    just buy this in the US and save myself the hassle!)

    The actual bulbs are like Christmas tree light type affairs rather than
    regular incandescent bulbs. The fixture plugs into a transformer (the
    plug from the fixture is tiny and I don't recognize it as any
    standard). Transformer input is 240v - 50hz and output is 24v - max 50

    Now, I assume that I need to use a different transformer, but I don't
    think its just a simple job of buying a new transformer (and US plug),
    plugging it in to the fixture, since the aforementioned output plug is
    very odd. It is 2 pronged and roughly 1/4 inch diameter.

    Can I just rewire the fixture thus:-

    1.cut off the weird plug from the fixture
    2.Get a new transformer (pressumably input 110v, output the same - I'm
    guessing a standard for Christmas tree lights)
    3. splice it in
    4. away we go

    Am I missing something? If this is correct, are the parts I would need

    Many thanks
  2. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    sounds like a quarts halogen lamp.
    dunno about christmas tree lights, but the transformer shouldn't be too hard
    to locate. try a lighting supplier.
    If the transformer is bare a case would be a good idea.
    I'm guessing $40

  3. You seem to have the right idea, most transformer packs seem to come with an
    output cable so just splice that onto the lead from the lamp. Stagger the
    joints a little and solder and tape.
  4. spudnuty

    spudnuty Guest

    You might want to consider changing the bulb type to 12 volts. 24 volts
    is not standard here. Juno makes a transformer for that but the
    cheapest is $180. I'm sure you could find a surplus one for a lot
    Are the sockets something that's compatable with American bulbs?
    BTW when I do this kind of rewiring I stagger, solder and use shrink
  5. JeffM

    JeffM Guest

    sounds like a quarts halogen lamp.
    Can also be expressed as *pints halogen*.
  6. neil

    neil Guest

    If you havetrouble finding a transformer, then search the Newark site - or
    maybe Digikey.
    They supply transformers of all varieties, and are sure to have one
    Best to show it to someone with a bit of electronic knowledge to make sure
    it's suitable.
    The cost in the UK would be around £15 ($25?).
    Could always post to sci.electronic.basics ...
  7. quietguy

    quietguy Guest

    You might have a browse at the local tip for a printer power pack of the
    right voltage - might save you a lot of work

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day