Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pressure sensor

EngineerRob

Apr 29, 2015
Hello thanks for reading

Im currently trying to experiment with a device to warn on low pressures for a solar system I'm experimenting with.

Im an engineer but know very little about electronics other than i can construct from drawings, therefore i need a little advice

The circuit i need needs to run off a small lithium battery and give a visual warning as well as a buzzing noise to indicate low pressure at a set point.

The warning needs to be set at about 0.5 bar

I've found a silicon sensor online
any advice about these would be very helpful
link to sensor I'm looking at:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/UPX19-OEM-piezo-silicon-water-pressure_1473391225.html?s=p

i can source the sensor in many different specifications

I'm trying to get the battery to last for as long as possible so maybe some sort of break circuit when pressure is ok (above 0.5 bar) and make circuit when its below triggering small led flash and buzzer

The device needs to be as small as possible, sensor/circuit/battery needs to fit in a housing 40mm by 40mm

Im hoping to get the battery life to 5 years plus

Great-full for any advice

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Hi Rob, welcome to electronicspoint.

Such a sensor will require some electronics to evaluate the signal from the sensor which in turn will inevitably drain the battery. Have you considered using a pressure switch? One that is ON when the pressure is lower than the setpoint. This switch can directly be used to connect the battery to an LED, a buzzer, whatever. As long as the pressure is high enough, the switch will be OFF (open) and no current will be drained from the battery (apart from the self-discharge of the battery).

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
As Harold suggested, a normally closed switch that is suitable for water would be the best/simplest idea.