Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pressure Sensor Tape help

jpinc

Oct 2, 2013
I purchased the materials to make my own pressure sensor tape after suggestions from the forum (thank you so much) . I followed the simple directions on instructables.

With the initial setups I have made, the led is always on but dim and only gets brighter when pressed.
My question, have i made a mistake or is that how pressure sensor tape works? For my application, ideally I need the sensor to be off and only on when pressure it applied?

Also, is there anywhere online to purchase manufactured pressure tape similar to the home made versions. The only reason is i need it to be reliable and durable.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sorry if you feel like you were being ignored. I don't get on the computer on
weekends, so didn't see your post until now.
I didn't think the suggestion you had previously to make your own was something
that I would personally do, but it's your project, so I let it go.
Google:
www.tapeswitch.com
That's a company that makes the sensor tape switches I was talking about.
Select 'switches' from the top selection bar,
'Ribbon Switches' from the drop-down menu, and then any of the selections from
the next drop-down menu for the different types, they also have a 'do-it-yourself kits'
selection in this menu to look at.
When I do projects, I demand reliability, which is what you sound like you want.
This company (and others) make industrial-grade pressure sensor tape (this company
calls it 'ribbon switches') that will do what you want.
Check the specs for the types you may be able to use, contact them with questions,
and ask for a distributor you can buy from, or even a sample length to evaluate.
Good luck. What you want to do can be done reliably, just find what you need.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
OH!
I suspect your LED 'on' and 'dim' issue, is your circuit. Not your switch.
If you built your switch correctly, it should be either on or off (check continuity with
an ohmeter). If the switch you build IS either on or off, you've got some current flow
issues with your LED circuit that aren't right, and you need to recheck that.

jpinc

Oct 2, 2013
Shrtrnd thank you so much for your time and your suggestions. The weekend is a great time to decompress and get away from the internet if you can.

Anyways, this is exactly what I have been looking for. As I am newer and still learning circuits and electronics, I find one of my most limiting aspects is simply the fact that i do not know what products exist out there. The ribbon tape I think will be ideal for my application as reliability is everything with this project. I enjoyed the tinkering with the DIY approach but I need a fail proof solution.

I am going to call them with my specific application needs but it seems the ribbon tape will be able to be encased in a urethane rubber and still preform for me.