Connect with us

Prefered: Undervolt or Overvolt a circuit?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by sharpbiohazard, Sep 12, 2012.

1. sharpbiohazard

sharpbiohazard

Sep 12, 2012
    I have just finished building a color organ circuit from canakit.com http://www.canakit.com/3-channel-ac-colour-organ-kit-ck185-uk185.html

The kit calls for a regulated 12v DC supply in order to power the functions on the board. I have found an unregulated [email protected] DC supply and have built the common LM317 voltage regulator circuit to keep it under control. The kit pulls around 100mA while operating.

My problem is-

I cannot get an exact 12v value out of the voltage regulator, based on the restrictions of common value resistors. I can either choose to go 11.8v, or 12.4 volts.

My question is-

What is better for the circuit? Provide it with a little more voltage, or a little less?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    I would pick 11.8 volts.
    If I am looking at the right part of the spec it says that a 9 volt source or a 12 volt source can be used.

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You are also not likely to get more than 10V from an LM317 with input of 12V.

Bob

4. sharpbiohazard

sharpbiohazard

Sep 12, 2012
    The supply is kicking out ~19v, since it is unregulated.

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Okay, you might get by then with a current draw well below the rating of the power supply.

Bob

Ask a Question