Connect with us

Precision Variable DC Power Supply Question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by gica69, Feb 25, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gica69

gica69

Feb 8, 2017
    I am a semi novice at electronics diagnostic, I saw a repair on YouTube where the buy used a HP Precision Variable DC Power Supply giving the system 3.4V and 10A to get the board to heat up to find the short to ground using his finger touch. Then he used alcohol to see the actual component that was he hottest. Now the guy does sound like a pro at this so my question is can I purchase a 30V 5A 110V Precision Variable DC Power Supply to perform this for future repairs or is the 10A better? Thanks in advance.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Fairy dust works better.
    Do you have a link??

3. gica69

gica69

Feb 8, 2017
    right around 11:36 on YouTube Let me know and thanks, looking for Fairy Dust as we speak.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. gica69

gica69

Feb 8, 2017
    So any updates?

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    his method is valid

no ... not going by what I observe ... his lack of static damage understanding for example
    yes, he gets results, but his work quality is questionable .... I wouldn't let him work on any of my gear

no ... the current drawn is relative to the resistance of the short and preferably you only need enough current being drawn to have the faulty component warm up

Dave

6. gica69

gica69

Feb 8, 2017
    Thanks Dave so on your last comment the 10A current would be preferable?

7. Rayregula

Rayregula

Dec 20, 2016
    He is saying that a 10A power supply is not necessary 5A should be plenty. in the video only .7A was passing through the circuit.

davenn likes this.
  8. gica69

gica69

Feb 8, 2017
    Thanks for that. There are a variety of strength on these Precision Variable DC Power Supply that go from the lower volts and amps to the upper and extremely expensive levels. What are these used for other than providing power for different situations. For me buying a 30V 5A source is almost half the price of going to the next setting of 10A, and below is a picture of the board I am working on.

Attached Files:

Ask a Question