Connect with us

ppm???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ssousy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ssousy

ssousy

Jun 17, 2011
    What is ppm? What does it stand for?

2. hexreader

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
    Parts Per Million (probably)

Strangely, Google seems of limited help, so this is a fair question.

Are you asking because you are using a crystal? ... or some other reason.

There are other uses for the ppm acronym, so I may have guessed at the wrong one

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  3. ssousy

ssousy

Jun 17, 2011
    Thanks for replying,

I thought it was parts per million. I'm not using a crystal. Here is a link to the specs of the board I am using.

http://www.bapimgsys.com/image-processing-board/ie6457.html

Under the technical description it says:
    "up to 1000ppm DIN A4 /200dpi simplex, multistream (b/w and JPEG or JPEG2000)"

Is it parts per million? That's what I'm used to ppm meaning, but here I'm not sure I understand that...

4. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    It could mean lots of things, depending on the context. Pulses per minute is another meaning. I used to work in a printer firmware group and it stood for pages per minute in that context. Based on the context of the document in the link you gave, that seems like it might fit. If you're talking about planetary imaging tools, it might mean pixels per meter. :p

It surprises me a bit that you didn't do the obvious thing and call the company who makes the thing -- it would have only taken a couple of minutes of your time.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    in reference to the item you are looking at its definately NOT parts per million.
    they are talking about page scanning speed

up to 1000 pages per minute of A4 sized paper at 200 dpi (dots per inch)

easy as that :)

Dave

Ask a Question