Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powering the Nano

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I want to be doubly sure. I can supply 9 volts to the GND and VIN pins, right? I am sure I have read the manual correctly.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
The Arduino Nano can be powered via the Mini-B USB connection, 6-20V unregulated external power supply (pin 30), or 5V regulated external power supply (pin 27). The power source is automatically selected to the highest voltage source.

The FTDI FT232RL chip on the Nano is only powered if the board is being powered over USB. As a result, when running on external (non-USB) power, the 3.3V output (which is supplied by the FTDI chip) is not available and the RX and TXLEDs will flicker if digital pins 0 or 1 are high.

I love google ;) I just don't have the pin label for you

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I love google ;) I just don't have the pin label for you
I am now doubly sure...The pin is labeled Vin.

I ask these dumb questions because I sometimes question myself. I read that same thing and was sure I read it right.

Thanks.

JoeM

Sep 5, 2014
The Arduino web site is the single most useful site on all Arduino information. Also, Adafruit has a ton of tutorials and educational information. For instance, I bought some tiny Arduino boards that don't even has USB on them. They are so small that they make great controllers for things that fly, or need to be small and light. On the Arduino web site I found a page that shows all the ways that the board can be programmed with a sketch. One thing I learned was that if the reset button is pressed, the boot loader will be activated, and if you connect it the way they show, program loading is simple. The other thing that I learned on that page was that you can take the processor out of an Uno board, and jumper the boards together and use the USB port from the Uno to access the other board. These boards weigh about an oz, and are no bigger than two postage stamps sitting side by side. The chip is approx 1/4" square in the center.