Connect with us

Powering an IDE box for an external HDD

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Bumblebee001, Apr 2, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bumblebee001

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi,

I had 3 such boxes bought from eBay. In all cases the power supplies met the same fate. I plugged them in and they blew up. Replacing the damaged components (in one, just the internal fuse) did not help in restoring them to health. They blew up again. The output of each power is given as 5V (1.5A) and 12V (1.5A) and the socket is 6 pin like this one:

[​IMG]

Can I work around this to be able to use an alternative supply since the originals are obviously of poor quality. I was thinking of somehow wiring the box to take the 5V supply from the USB and then using a transformer that provides the 12V.

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  2. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
    Have you contacted the seller for help?

Do you have a link to the ebay page you purchased from?

3. Bumblebee001

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
    I bought it quite some time ago - usually eBay can't help and neither will the seller.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    so it seems you haven't sorted out the wiring connections correctly ... it's the only real reason things are failing
    till you sort out what you are doing wrong, it would be unwise to try something different
    you need to clearly establish polarities etc of the existing PSU and how that relates to the HDD power port

nowhere enough current capability from a USB port

Dave

5. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
    Can you post a photo of what you have, or a link to ebay that shows the same/similar product?

6. Bumblebee001

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
    [​IMG]
    + its own power supply that blew up on plugging it in and switching the unit on! - 3 of them all ended up the same. They worked well when I bought them!!!! So I did not do anything to them other than the passage of some time before using them again.

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    connect them to a PC power supply.

I did this with several I had where the power supply failed. I cut off the old cable and wired it to a connector I could plug into a spare disk drive connector in the PC.

8. Bumblebee001

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
    The idea is to use a laptop and the IDE HDD as backup, for example. ;-)

9. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
  10. Bumblebee001

Bumblebee001

Jul 19, 2013
    :cool:

Ask a Question