Connect with us

powering a wifi camera with a battery

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by mikgol, Aug 8, 2013.

1. mikgol

mikgol

Jul 6, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to put a wireless camera on the robot I'm building.

I've bought a wifi camera like this one ...

http://www.estore.com.au/product/dlk000262?gclid=CPC0ltbJ7LgCFUlfpQodrCEA6A

... the power pack that it comes in is 5 volts and 1.3 amps. I want to run it off a battery - i've got 2 x 2200 mAh 11.1v Lipo batteries that I'll put in parallel. I've also got one of these step down voltage regulators ...

http://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/505-5V-3A-BEC-Step-Down-Voltage-Regulator

... is it just a matter of hooking up the batteries in parallel to this voltage regulator, and feeding it straight into the camera? Or is there some kind of electronics magic that I need to do to make this work?

Thanks very much for your help :)

Mike

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Connecting it up together should be all that you need to do, no extra magic needs to happen.

Its funny you post this now, I just helped my friend make a wireless camera battery powered for on a robot. He used a AA battery cartridge (holds 4 batteries but it is actually running with 3) so it runs at 4.5V (we tried with all 4 at 6V but it would not work) without a regulator or anything

3. mikgol

mikgol

Jul 6, 2013
    Thanks GreenGiant. I'll plug it in and see if it works.

That's interesting that your friends camera wouldn't work with a regulator. I hope the one I bought is ok. I don't really know anything about electronics, but I was wondering if a capacitor is needed somewhere in there to filter spikes or something?

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    We just never tried it with a regulator, he had the battery pack lying around so he wanted to try it, and with the 4 batteries (6V) the camera would come on, but it would not connect to the wifi, or initialize, removing one battery (4.5V) it started up perfectly and ran fine.

5. mikgol

mikgol

Jul 6, 2013
    ahh sorry, i missread your post. I tried it with the battery and regulator in my previous post and it works great :)

Ask a Question