Connect with us

Powering a radio with solar cells

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by 8bit, Aug 9, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. 8bit

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
    I have a very small radio that takes two AAA batteries and runs on a total of 3volts. I would like to add a solar cell to it so I can run it without batteries. I am just a little confused as how to connect it to the power connecters at the back. The back of the radio is shown below.

[​IMG]

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi ya

the negative from the panel goes to the spiral terminal on the lower left
    the positive from the panel goes to the terminal that cant be seen just above the lower left terminal

NOTE you will need a panel that can produce around 4 - 4.5V as it will drop to around 3V when under load

MOST panels voltage rating is an open circuit voltage rating. Confirm the O.C. voltage before you buy the panel

Dave

3. 8bit

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
    Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I have a 3v solar cell and just no matter how I wired it I could not get any power in the radio. :)

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    is that 3V open circuit ?

measure the voltage with the radio as a load once wired to the radio correctly
    you may find the voltage is dropping to 2V or less ( you may need 2 cells in series)

Dave

5. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    A single solar cell is 0.5v

6. 8bit

8bit

Oct 30, 2013

That's the voltage across just the solar panel on it's own.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK then it will drop substantially when a load is applied maybe as low as 1V, so you may need 2 or 3 in series

8. 8bit

8bit

Oct 30, 2013

Thanks Dave, I'll try and pick up a couple more. Thanks for the information. :)

Ask a Question