Connect with us

Powering a power supply

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by GarbageCan, Jul 19, 2013.

1. GarbageCan

GarbageCan

Jul 19, 2013
    Hello, I have a dumb question. I'm needing to power some sensors, and this omega power supply suits the DC voltage ranges (http://www.omega.ca/shop/pptsc.asp?ref=LP-PS).

But for something like this, how do people normally go about getting power to the supply? I realize its rated to accept household rated voltages/current, but in terms of actually getting it into the screw connector blocks I'd like some advice. Is there a cable you can stick into an outlet that just has a couple of exposed copper wires on one side, should I make one by cutting up an old power cable, do you normally just get cables directly from the wiring in your house?

2. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    What I've done is got an old extension cord, cut one end off, strip the wires, stuck them under the screws and plugged the other into the wall.

3. eKretz

eKretz

Apr 8, 2013
    Same. With the small addition of tinning the stripped wires. Alternatively one could use crimped or soldered ring or spade terminals.

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    You are dealing with dangerous voltages and need proper insulation.

Get a box fitted with DIN rails to mount the power supply.
    Connect to a flexible lead as previously advised. Use a grommet and cable clamp.

eKretz has suggested that the ends of the cable should be tinned. I used to do this but have seen the advice that the tinned ends can creep and give loose connections after a few years.

Ask a Question