Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powered 10" and 15"

Zigger21

Dec 25, 2013
Hi, I have two Cerwin Vegas they are both floor powered subs. I have a 15" Floor powered Sub, I also have a 10" Floor powered Sub. On the 15 inch powered sub I have a pieced of laminated wood so it gets more bass out of it and I have the 10" on top of the 15" sub and I was wondering what HZ I should have them on and is it OK to have the 10 on top of the 15, plus should I have one of them firing at 180 degrees or keep them both at 0. I could really use help on the position of them and the 0-180 settings plus the HZ position on both subs. Please, Please I need some help. Jonathan

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
on top of each other should be fine, just make sure the one on top is secured so it wont vibrate off.

Since they are both in the same place you want to run them boath at either 0 or 180, you dont want to have them differ, that would cause dead spots and just ruin the sound.

A good crossover frequency would be around 150Hz or so.

I would like to say though that you may get better overall results if you place one in the front of the room and one in the back so you get more encompassing bass.

Zigger21

Dec 25, 2013
I decided to place the subs equally right across the room from each other and see how that goes, Im still waiting on a monster cable coaxial audio cables to reach the other side of the room. Will coaxial cables produce better sound than RCA cables??

Zigger21

Dec 25, 2013
Your idea is not stupid Ill try the sub on the other side of your room and if on top of the subs sounds better I will go with it/

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Im assuming you mean digital coax (looks like an RCA connector but is orange?)

Digital coax does transmit more data but if you are only using the sub then you arent using most of it, only the low end. So either way you should get the same quality.

Also, for future reference I personally try to avoid overspending on cables (Monster cables are WAY overpriced) this site has some of the best prices for cables and AV stuff I have ever found, and its all still top quality stuff.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Im still waiting on a monster cable coaxial audio cables.

In general, all "monster cables" are simply a way to separate cash from people who don't have enough knowledge to realise it's a con.

Will coaxial cables produce better sound than RCA cables??

Unless you're running them next to an operating Tesla coil, no.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I decided to place the subs equally right across the room from each other and see how that goes, Im still waiting on a monster cable coaxial audio cables to reach the other side of the room. Will coaxial cables produce better sound than RCA cables??
RCA cables ARE coaxial.

RCA refers to the plugs on the ends - they are "RCA Phono" plugs. RCA was the original manfacturer, and they were originally used with turntables for vinyl records, i.e. "phonographs", hence "phono" in the name. Nowadays they're normally just called RCA plugs or RCA jacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

Coaxial refers to the construction of the cable itself. A coaxial cable has a centre conductor and an outer screen, or shield, made from twisted or matted strands of copper which form a tube, surrounding the inner conductor and shielding it from some kinds of interference. The inner conductor and the shield are both centred on the centre of the conductor, hence they have the same axis, hence "coaxial".

The quality of the cable can be important, especially for long cable runs (where cable capacitance can cause loss of high frequencies) or in electrically hostile environments (where the quality and density of the shield is important), but in your case, there's probably no significant difference between standard and Monster cable, apart from the impact on your wallet!

Monster cables CAN be useful when significant power is present, such as connections from amplifiers to speakers, because they are thick and have low resistance, so they improve efficiency, and (slightly) damping factor, but in your application, all the high-power connections are inside the powered speakers. Generally, claims about audiophile cables are not substantiated by any valid testing.