Connect with us

Power Trip when probing Oscilloscope..

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jrd78ep, Mar 27, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Hello Guys....just wondering why the power is tripping when i probe osciloscope to measure clock signal output from PWM IC (uc3525)...Thanks in advance.

2. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Oscilloscope test probe were high impedance and should not affect or loading the output of uc3525. What kind of oscilloscope your using?
    I use old model oscilloscope and I removed the Ground pin of AC plug so Oscilloscope Gnd connection will be floating. This to avoid loading or disturb the sensitive PWM circuits.

3. jrd78ep

jrd78ep

Mar 21, 2013
    Tektronix tds2012...let say i don't want to remove the ground..and as per my friend advise use the 1:1 transformer between measurement....do you think it'll work? tHanks a lot.

4. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Isolation transformer? That's very good advice. Buy one for your safe trouble shooting AC source devices or pwm device and your test equipment.

Wish I can replace my 15 year old Leader 1021 Oscilloscope with Tektronix TDS2012.:D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  5. sheldonstv

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
    ok you obviously want to release the magic smoke and loud bangs-what is the item you are trying to repair.....if it is a smps related item you must use an isolation transformer

Ask a Question