Connect with us

power supply

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by TR Love, Jun 4, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. TR Love

    TR Love Guest


    I have a roland drum kit that runs on a 9v 1200ma power supply. I also
    have a 12v 400amp battery charger pack, with a cigarette adapter.

    Is it possible to get a power supply converter to run my drum kit from
    the battery pack? I have very limited knowledge and and a bit confused
    as to what how and why.

    Any pointers to products I can buy would be great. I'm based in the


  2. Jan Nielsen

    Jan Nielsen Guest

    TR Love skrev:
    If you are looking for a completed solution, I dont think this is the
    right group.

    If you want to build it yourself, you would get a voltage regulator
    rated for your amp usage, and put some caps before and after for a
    smooth supply.

  3. Tim Wescott

    Tim Wescott Guest

    I'm not sure if there are any direct step-down converters that'll do
    what you want.

    Perhaps the safest thing to do is to get an AC converter that'll plug
    into the cigarette adapter and generate 220V or whatever you limeys use.
    Then plug your drum kit's converter into that. Just make sure that
    it's capable of delivering the current that your drum kid adapter wants
    (read the label carefully, it'll tell you the AC current requirements --
    then buy a converter that'll deliver that much).

    It's indirect, it's heavy, it's inefficient, in theory it's more
    expensive -- but in practice it'll get you making noise faster, you
    won't have to know much about electronics to plug it together, and it
    won't run down your battery all that much faster.


    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services

    Posting from Google? See

    Do you need to implement control loops in software?
    "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" gives you just what it says.
    See details at
  4. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Go to the other side of google and search on stuff like "dc-dc power
    adapters" or "lighter adapter" and so on.

    You'll find one eventually.

    Be sure that you get one with a current rating greater than or equal
    to 1200mA.

    Good Luck!
  5. Circa Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:11:34 -0700 recorded as
    <> looks like TR Love
    Whaddyaknow. The first Google hit returned on the search

    <9v 1200ma converter>



    Which has at least two devices that will suit you. DC 12V to 9V car
    adapters, one at 1200mA, one at 2000. You owe me a pint. :)
  6. JeB

    JeB Guest

    I'll guess that you can run the drum kit off of the charger pack
    directly but I'd check with the manufacturer before trying it.

  7. A 400 amp charger is not likely to be filtered OR regulated. Open
    circuit, or with that small of a load the output may be over 20 volts of
    high ripple DC that would destroy your Roland.

    Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to
    prove it.
    Member of DAV #85.

    Michael A. Terrell
    Central Florida
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day