Connect with us

Power supply voltage dip protection design

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by i200yrs, Nov 1, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. i200yrs

i200yrs

Nov 1, 2016
    Hello All...good day...I am new with this forum...Just want to ask from experts about the the attached circuit, what would be i consider if i increase the original capacitor from 10000uF to 33000uF? PowerProtectCkt2.JPG Thanks a lot.

PowerProtectCkt2.JPG PowerProtectCkt2.JPG PowerProtectCkt2.JPG

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Probably very little.

It is possible that the resistor may get a little warmer, if it's not noticeably warm now, there's probably nothing to worry about.

Is the contactor rated for 33V?

Why not use a bridge rectifier and a large filter capacitor?

3. i200yrs

i200yrs

Nov 1, 2016
    Thanks for the inputs...the caps rated 63V...that is actually the original design to hold for 1 sec power dip...But i want to increase it up to 3 sec power dip protection. So based on cap discharge formula (Vc=Voe(-t/RC). The 33000uF cap is very suitable....thanks

4. pgib8

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
    I second the bridge rectifier. But wait, you didn't say what the problem was.

5. i200yrs

i200yrs

Nov 1, 2016
    Hello...most of the power dip happens here at least 3sec....our system original design based on the schematic is can hold only 1 sec for the coil...so our system trips...so i am modifying the system to handle until 3 sec power dip. Thanks guys.

Ask a Question