Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power supply questions....

DrBwts

Dec 7, 2013
Hi

I've been lurking for a while but know have a question or maybe 2.

I am looking for 2 power supplies:

1) A decent, stable bench supply that is capable of driving up to 8 low power servos (Hitec HS 311s) & 4 DC motor (still havent worked out which yet but lets say up to 24v but with moderate load).

2) A power circuit that is capable of all the stuff in (1) but is battery powered & will also need to supply an Arduino Nano.

So I'm after advice an buying (1) & possibly building (2)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Sounds like you want a 30V 1A (maybe 2A) variable bench power supply (for the first part)

Hit up ebay, there's plenty. Here is an example. I'm not recommending this unit, but it is a common style and with specs which should suit you. It's also reasonably priced. I have 2 units (similar to this but with digital control) as my standard bench power supplies.

DrBwts

Dec 7, 2013
Thanks Steve that exactly what I'm looking for.

DrBwts

Dec 7, 2013
OK I'm going to go with the 5A version of the above supply.

Could somebody give me some pointers on how I can run multiple circuits at different voltages from this kind of supply?

Is it simply a case of using voltage regulators in parallel? or are there current issues I should be aware of before I burn my workshop down?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Preferably you would have one power supply per rail you want (or a power supply capable of that many rails).

This allows you to set appropriate current limits on each -- very important when developing and testing a circuit.

However it is more or less feasible to set the power supply to the highest required rail and use three terminal regulators to produce lower rails. This is of course load dependent. If you need 24V at 10mA and 3.3V at 3A then the 3.3V regulator will get impossibly hot.