Connect with us

Power supply for 1960s movie projector

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by lisa_25, Oct 25, 2018.

1. lisa_25

lisa_25

Oct 25, 2018
    Hi - I have an old movie projector I inherited with the cord shown in the photo. Obviously this doesn't plug into an Australian power point, what do I need to do/buy to be able to use the projector?

Attached Files:

2. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    The following page suggests it can use 100 to 240VAC, 50/60Hz, so If That's True you should merely need a cord that fits both your outlet and the projector, or to cut and graft together a cord you have with the correct wall plug, and that cord with the correct projector plug.

https://van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=4&cat=film&merk=28&type=Cine Projector S-400

Really by graft I mean you can just cut the wall plug off and get the right DIY wall plug from a hardware store to put on, no need to joint two cables together. Replacement plugs usually have a shell that pops off and screw terminals inside to secure the wires, but I'm thinking of US plugs and merely assuming there are such things in Australia too.

I also read that there is a voltage setting switch on the bottom that should be switched to whichever setting is closest to your (230VAC?) Australian voltage.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Harald Kapp and davenn like this.
  3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The plug shows 115V supply. Isn't your local supply 240V? If so you will need a transformer to convert the voltage. You may also have issues if the mains frequency isn't 60Hz as well.

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Find a handbook which details Voltage,Current and Frequency.
    The plug can be replaced but might be the least of your problems.
    If the voltage is different to what you are supplied with, then leave the plug in place to avoid the wrong voltage being applied.
    I have made an isolating transformer to provide 120V to a socket thet will suit that plug.
    The projector may run slow on 50Hz.

5. lisa_25

lisa_25

Oct 25, 2018
    Thank you! I will check for that switch when I get home. I appreciate all your replies. If there is such a switch, could I use an international adapter plug with this one? And yes, we have 240V here in Australia.

davenn likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

both not relevant .... see the earlier post by Dave9 :) :)

the www site clearly states ....
    not one or the other and 50 or 60 Hz is irrelevant as it is using a DC motor drive

I don't see a switch in any of the photos the photos on the site ... the www site infers that it can use any voltage between 100 and 240VAC

yes, much easier than replacing the plug

Dave

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. lisa_25

lisa_25

Oct 25, 2018
    Thank you Dave. The projector belonged to my grandfather and I'm sure he would have used it on 240V. Hopefully can go home tonight and watch some old films!

davenn likes this.
  8. lisa_25

lisa_25

Oct 25, 2018
    Thank you! Found the switch at the bottom set to 240V. Got a travel adapter and it turned on, but now I need a new lamp

davenn likes this.
  9. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Now the adventure begins! You can convert it to LED. :p
    Just kidding.

Ask a Question