Connect with us

Power supply efficiency

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Braeden Hamson, Aug 6, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
  2. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    No. A supply of that type usually is around 75 to 80% efficient at full load.

The 1.2 A input current is a way overestimated estimate. It might be the startup inrush current, bit it seems low for that.

ak

Braeden Hamson likes this.
  3. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Thank you, your post encouraged me to not trust ratings. I just tested the efficiency of my laptop's power supply. Which was a somewhat hazardous affair with a tangle 120 VAC alligator clips running between the plug and my multimeter. While charging my computer the charger drew 0.5 A from the wall. The case says 1.5 A. on the DC side its 18.5 V I couldn't measure amperage, I didn't feel like shoving my meter leads into the laptops power socket lest I short the charger pins. So I guesstimated that it runs at 2 amps as its rated for 4.2 A peak. This gives it an efficiency of 77%, right on the money.

Ask a Question