Connect with us

Power Supply Design

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Nikhil, Feb 21, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Nikhil

Nikhil

Feb 21, 2015
    Hello,

I need to design a 150V - 230V AC input to 5V, 1.5A DC output power supply which has two USB Outputs.
    Should I go for the transformerless design or should I include a transformer?
    In any of the above cases, what should be the circuit diagram?

I would appreciate your help on this point. Thanks in advance!

- Nikhil

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi Nikhil,

Welcome to EP :)

There are plenty of switchmode PSU's out there that can handle 100-240VAC input and produce the output
    you want
    unless you have really good electronics skills, I would recommend you just but one

Dave

3. Nikhil

Nikhil

Feb 21, 2015
    Hello Dave,

Thank you for the answer. I have one query however. I plan to use this power supply in a product and the mould design of this product will have to in such a way to fit in this power supply. If the PSU gets discontinued by the manufacturer, I will end up without any option with a pre-designed moulded case with me. Do you still recommend going for a PSU?

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    You will never design and build one cheaper
    there are many plugpacks capable of your requirements

5. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes I agree with Dave. Most manufactures copy each other so unless it's from an unknown manufacture I am sure you would be able to replace it. When you find one why don't you email some other suppliers and ask them if they do something the same or similar.
    Adam

Ask a Question