Connect with us

Power supply design

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by barathbushan, Dec 27, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    Hi guys

I recently found a pair of 12-0-12 , 5 amp transformers , I have decided to do a power supply with it

Since they are similiar , i want to connect them in series , so that i can have 48v and 5 amps

But the problem is i don't have any design ideas for 48 volts , also i tried searching online , surely i found some designs , but they clearly lack details regarding the component values , working , description etc etc

so if any of you guys know of about any circuit ideas regarding the 48 v power supply , please post it . Thanks for your help :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. janagyjr

janagyjr

Dec 17, 2010
    Could you do something with the LM317 and build a variable voltage supply that would meet many needs instead of just one?

What about a signal generator with a variable amplitude that could spit out sine, square, or sawtooth at various frequencies? I imagine you'd need an oscilloscope to make that really useful, though.

3. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks for your reply , but the maximum current lm317 can handle is 1.5 amps , but i require 5 amps , i know i can use lm 338 , but i need a circuit that can handle 48 volts,but it can handle only 32 volts

A function generator is a nice idea , but again i don't know the circuits to build it

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. janagyjr

janagyjr

Dec 17, 2010
    Wasn't sure if the amps was a requirement, sorry. What about splitting the transformers between two lm338's and combine the output somewhere down the line? Same problem? Can't be done? I'm nuts for even considering it?

Google is your friend. I'm sure I could find a ton with a quick search.

5. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    Well google may be my friend , but still no circuit of the power supply found :D

also splitting power supply into two Lm 317's , will still not give 5 amps , Thanks for the advice though , also am not interested in a building a function generator , simply because it may be a little complex and beyond my ability , also it's a waste of resources since 200+ watts for a function gernerator is a bit of a overkill

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
Ask a Question