Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power supply circuit question - Transformerless good idea? Still pass certification?

Mahonroy

Oct 21, 2014
Hey guys,
I am in the process of deciding on a good rout to take for the power supply for my project. I had a couple of questions about it.

More info on the device: The device is for home brewing, its a standalone device that sits on the floor, shelf, mounted to a frame, etc. Its actually pretty simple - there is a power on/off, a screen, 3 buttons to interface the microcontroller/screen, a power cable, and that's pretty much it. The microcontroller uses transistors/relays to control a load (internal to the device) that requires 12 volts @ 20 amps.

I have always just used power adapters/wall worts in the past for all of my projects, so this is a bit new to me. The highest current rated 12 volt power adapter I could find was @ 12 amps and it costs about 30 bucks (ebay). Here is a photo of it as an exampe:
power_adaptor.JPG

Something like this would of been perfect if it were offered as a 30 amp, but this doesn't seem to exist.
So the next option is to use an actual 12 volt power supply, these are rated @ 30 amps and actually cost less (20 bucks). Here is a photo for an example:
power_supply.JPG

While this meets the specification, for a consumer product this just doesn't seem like the best idea, even if it were pre-wired (this would still need to be located outside of the device in a similar fashion as a power adapter would be, its a bit of an eye sore, and the electrical terminals are exposed - seemed like someone could get shocked?)

So this brought me to my 3rd idea... what if I created a simple power supply that resided on the PCB inside the device? I found several plans online on how to make a transformer or transformerless power supply. The device has internal heat ventilation, so the added heat is not a problem. The problem I found with the transformer version was that the transformers are expensive - especially one that can handle enough current for 20+ amps. And to be honest, I actually had a hard time even locating an appropriate transformer for this. So I started looking into transformerless power supply circuits, and this seemed like the way to go.

So it looks like these transformerless power supplies basically consist of a bridge rectifier circuit, paired up with some resistors, zener diods, and some even had a few IC's like the 78XX linear regulators incorporated, maybe some transistors, all of which could supply 12 volts @ 30 amps. It doesn't matter if the power supply is not very efficient, and that the power is not optimized and is dirty power. Its only going to be used to power a micro controller and the load, so dirty power doesn't matter (I would of course incorporate a few filtering circuits anyways).

My main concern was mains isolation. With this device will it even matter? Would it be able to still get a certification? People aren't going to be exposed to any of the circuitry so it seemed like this would be ok. Mainly I wanted to get some of your opinions on this, or if there is a better idea that I should go with. Or if I should just go with the eye sore 30 amp power supply I mentioned above and have it sitting outside next to the device? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
those switchmode power supplies need to be properly encoded in a case.

As Steve said, it needs cased ... no big deal, what's the problem @Mahonroy ?

they are awesome supplies, have used dozens of them over the yrs

Ohhh and BTW they are NOT transformerless, the hot side is isolated from the secondary side by a transformer

Mahonroy

Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for the replies, I will do my best to answer all of the questions:

1. Old Steve, I really liked that power supply schematic and something like that would work perfectly. The only problem is I cannot find a transformer with a 24V secondary rated for 35 amps. Well I did find a couple, but the transformers alone were over $120! Feels like I am missing something?

2. Do the switchmode power supplies have to be in a case? Or is this for aesthetic reasons? If the naive customer was ok with it, would there be any problem? This is interesting though... it looks like a lot of manufacturers build enclosures so that you can put the power supply inside of it... seems a bit redundant I suppose.

3. Davenn, I didn't mention that the switchmode power supply was transformer-less. I was asking about different design concerns if I was to go the rout of building a transformer-less power supply directly on my PCB that is already inside of the device.

Thanks again!

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
1. Old Steve, I really liked that power supply schematic and something like that would work perfectly. The only problem is I cannot find a transformer with a 24V secondary rated for 35 amps. Well I did find a couple, but the transformers alone were over $120! Feels like I am missing something?
No, you're not missing anything - it's @#$% expensive to make your own high-power linear PSU.
A large toroid is very hard to wind, so very expensive. As mentioned by the others, a switchmode PSU is really the way to go.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
3. Davenn, I didn't mention that the switchmode power supply was transformer-less. I was asking about different design concerns if I was to go the rout of building a transformer-less power supply directly on my PCB that is already inside of the device.

NO, DONT do transformerless

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
.... and because of the huge amount of heat generated (as already mentioned above)!! Your pcb would catch fire in no time :eek:.

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Heed *steve*s' advice in post#2.
Buy a nice looking enclosure.
Simples..

Martin

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Transformerless power supplies are practical for a few milliwatts, not 360W! And they can only be used when completely enclosed with no part of the circuit exposed since the entire circuit is at line potential and therefore a shock hazard.

Bob