Connect with us

Power Supply Charging Circuit

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by UPS, Apr 11, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. UPS

UPS

Apr 11, 2013
    Hi guys,
    I recently acquired an old Uninterruptible Power Supply without a bettery. It is an old APC Smart-UPS 1500 (120V/100V model). I took it apart and noticed that it contained an large transformer (430-2111, Class 180(H) R333H, LEI-4 E154515).

When I plugged the two 12V 7Ah batteries in series into it the UPS started right up and appeared to work well. However, I am trying to diagram the charging circuit because I want to be able to attach larger batteries so the UPS will last longer in the event of a power outage. If So my question has 2 parts:
    1) If I wanted to put in larger batteries could what components would I need to change (would just getting a larger transformer work?)
    2) Does anyone know where I could find a diagram of the charging circuit online?
    Let me know if you need any more info. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It should work fine with larger batteries with no changes (it may charge slower, but that may be acceptable).

The big thing to consider is that because the batteries are normally encased within the solid metal box, there is no particular reason why the batteries might not be floating at mains potential.

You need to take this into account if you place the batteries externally.

Ask a Question