Connect with us

power resistor solder post (in search of)

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by KAOS, Jul 12, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. KAOS

    KAOS Guest


    I'm looking for some of these posts that you find cement power
    resistors mounted to on PCBs.

    They're little hollow posts that are inserted through the bottom of
    the PCB that allow the leads of the power resistor to feed through and
    solder to the bottom. I assume they're designed to sink a little heat
    and allow the resistor to be mounted sturdily above the board level.

    Anyway, I (always) have trouble heating them up and removing all the
    solder to install new resistors.

    Anyone know what these are called, so I can poke around on mouser or
    elsewhere for replacements?

    Thanks for any assistance-

  2. Smitty Two

    Smitty Two Guest

    If they're the things I'm visualizing from your description, one name
    for them is "hollow turret terminals."
  3. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Could you post a pic to some hosting site, or at least some dimensions, as I
    don't recognise the description
  4. Arfa Daily

    Arfa Daily Guest

    I've seen these on manufactured boards many times, but I can't recall seeing
    them sold anywhere. Smitty's name for them sounds right. You can also get
    ceramic tubes for the same purpose, and I think the word 'standoff' comes
    into them somewhere. Another method of standing power resistors off the
    board in a mechanically robust way, is to use ceramic fishspines. You can
    put as many as you like of those on each leg, to space it off as far as you
    like. Once the resistor is pulled into the board, and soldered, they are
    very rigid.

  5. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    But you don't want rigid, in the sense of clamped down to board fixing, or
    board flexure + lead heating will lead to strain on the solder points, then
    failure of joints
  6. Arfa Daily

    Arfa Daily Guest

    The metal tubes that he is referring to are quite common in TV sets and the
    like, and I can assure you that they hold the resistors very firmly, and
    inflexibly, to the board. Failure of the joints on them is not something
    that I would have said was 'common' ...

  7. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    As I recall, they are called stand-offs or turret lugs. The component
    lead usually seems to have a bit of movement in the tube, tho only
    soldered at the board end of the tube. They are used a lot in Peavey
    amplifiers and rarely seem to fail.

    see here

  8. Bill Jeffrey

    Bill Jeffrey Guest

    You need a stainless steel dental pick. Your dentist will probably give
    you one that is getting dull. Or you can usually find them at flea
    markets or dollar stores.

    You heat up the post (in this case) and ram the pick down into the hot
    solder. The pick pushes the molten solder out, and since the pick is
    stainless, the solder doesn't stick to it.

    With a little care, you can also use the pick to clear plated-thru holes
    on a PCB.

  9. DaveM

    DaveM Guest

    They are called Turret Terminals. Several companies make them, but you can poke
    around Mouser's current catalog on page 1541. Keystone makes them, even sells a
    cheap staking kit for installing them to a board.

    Dave M
    MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

    "In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." - Yogi Berra
  10. KAOS

    KAOS Guest

    Thanks for the pointers-

    I guess they're turret terminals. The ones I see on Mouser and on
    the Keystone site are not as tall as these, but one is close.

    I tried to grab some quick (rough) dimensions-

    Inner Diameter- 1.2mm
    Outer Diameter- 2.2mm
    Base Diameter- 3.2mm

    height (above board) 9.5mm (.37 in)

    The ones I've found are skinnier than mine too. They probably don't
    need replacing- it's just that they got heated up good to remove the
    solder and now the plating looks funky. As long as they serve their

    Here are some snapshots just for reference:

    One of them shows a thermistor installed.

    Thanks again-
  11. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    They are rolled brass turret lugs/tags/terminals

  12. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Now seeing a pic they are familiar but no names known to me.
    I've always known turret tags as the crenelated/castellated (as found on
    castle turrets) small tags pressed into paxolin circuit board of valve and
    wire-ended component days and Gardner etc high quality transformers for lead
    terminations. Looking down on the top they have a cross recess for taking
    wires in 2/4 directions.
  13. Smitty Two

    Smitty Two Guest

    I've destroyed many a PCB by trying to replace terminals. They're
    mechanically swaged into the board prior to soldering. They *can* be
    successfully replaced; I've done that, too. But it's just as likely that
    you'll tear up pads and traces. Your pics show a single sided board
    which would make replacement a lot easier if you decide to do it.
  14. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    I was recently repairing a 30 yearold amp and those pins look very much like
    the electrical socket type connectors fitted bare, directly to pcbs to mate
    with line plugs of the Molex / QM type connector range, in UK terms.
    As far as the bellied/swaged ends to solder onto the board, very similar,
    the active connector ends are more open than the sort for thin leaded Rs ,
    but could be used for R standoff/pillars
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day