Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power problem

wileyrimmer1231

Oct 20, 2012
I received an old Emerson AV301 that has a power problem. I checked the first power transformer in and out of the circuit (good). There is a 5-wire lead that goes from the small input voltage board to another board. Three of the wires go out, and one returns to activate the 5VDC coil that closes a relay that provides the link for 120VAC to feed a second larger transformer. The fifth has a white stripe. I can't figure out why the voltage is not returning to close the relay on the input voltage board. Thanks for any suggestions of what to check.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to the forums :)

Have you done a google search for a service manual or even just the schematic ?
without me spending time searching, I dont even know what a Emerson AV301 is ?? :)

Dave

wileyrimmer1231

Oct 20, 2012
New subscriber

The AV301 is a cheap, old surround sound receiver. I belong to a "Freecycle" group here in Wilmington, NC. I get these old electronics for free and try to fix them. I also use them in an afterschool technology program for kids. Basically, I'm trying to learn electronics without paying tuition. I'm a science and math teacher with a desire and ability to learn. When I found that the power problem was not isolated in the power stage, I was lost. All fuses are intact, the transistor and diode immediately attached to the line back to the power stage are good. I'm thinking of just jumping the relay coil on the power stage to see what happens. Nothing to gain but experience. By the way, I am very safe.

hi there
welcome to the forums :)

Have you done a google search for a service manual or even just the schematic ?
without me spending time searching, I dont even know what a Emerson AV301 is ?? :)

Dave