Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power - on security camera

MadMechanic

Aug 28, 2012
Hello all,

I am seeking to modify any existing micro pinhole camera so that if the power to the unit is turned on... The unit immediately starts recording and stops when power off. Almost all of these units require a momentary push button to start recording, or built in motion detection. I really want to simpfly a system so it's only on/off operation.

Does anyone know if such a cam exists? Still or video. Or would my best bet be to have a separate controller that replaced manual switches? If so, how complicated would that be, and what would be the best route? Any advice appreciated.

-Edit- basically I need to design something to automate the momentary push-to-record button. Maybe a relay paused by a timer?

Last edited:

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
Hrmm, MadMechanic, maybe I don't understand. All of the security cameras I have are "dumb". That is they don't record anything, they just convert light input to an electronic signal. The signal is then sent to a device (a DVR) that makes all the decisions about what is saved. The DVRs that I have (and I have several) have settings and a GUI that allow me to customize (and selectively over-ride the settings) what is saved. While I would not put most DVRs at the bleeding edge of technology, they are relatively complex systems, and designing one from the ground up would be a daunting task.

The fact that you can buy a feature rich 16ch DVR for less than $1k is pretty amazing considering the all of the capabilities. If you are simply interested in a single camera, you might consider a "nanny-cam". I have not personally played with them, but I understand the technology has evolved tremendously. If you want to "play", I would suggest you look at one of the wireless cameras that links to a PC and focus on trying to improve on existing compression and image recognition/rejection (in general this means motion detection, but can certainly be taken to higher levels like facial recognition etc ).

Fish

mollymac

Sep 24, 2013
off and on by remote

there is a dummy smoke alarm-hidden camera that lets you record by a remote control and takes stills ..etc ebay ,if i can post the link let me know