Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power limiter on kids ride on car

Simon loveday

May 15, 2016
my kids car is 12v but not fast enough I've tried increasing the power input from 12v to 16v but every time we put it in high gear something clicks and cuts the power, have to turn it off and on again to reset, the motors will take it plus have a couple spare in case. Any ideas how to bypass the restrictions/cut out?
Thanks

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
The cut-out is there for safety reasons. If you bypass it the motor could overheat with prolonged use, even if it can survive briefly.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
my kids car is 12v but not fast enough I've tried increasing the power input from 12v to 16v but every time we put it in high gear something clicks and cuts the power, have to turn it off and on again to reset, the motors will take it plus have a couple spare in case. Any ideas how to bypass the restrictions/cut out?
Thanks
The safety circuit could be protecting the motor, or other components in the vehicle.
It sounds like it's based on 'current' draw... which means that when you add the additional voltage, the *current* also increases... and just so happens to be above the value the safety mechanism 'trips' at.
When you put it in a high gear, the motor has to exert more force to move the car. This load on the engine at the increased voltage is what is causing issued here...
If you are certain that the components in the car can handle the higher voltage *and* higher currents associated, then it's time to look at the safety mechanism...
You may be able to swap it out for a higher rated one, but I would strongly discourage you from bypassing it, or sizing it too high!
Excessive current causes heat build-up, and something as simple as pressing the gas while the wheels may be hindered or stuck could damage the motor, and/or wiring in the car.
You can always go all out this this guy did and replace almost all the guts ;)

In all seriousness though... you may need to replace more than you expect for a marginal gain in speed. Experiment and research. Share you findings, but it may be worth looking into a larger build that you can artificially limit while your kids grow into the new car.