Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power Dissipation Across A Transistor In Cutoff

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Do you want Vce or dissipation?

By definition dissipation will be at or very close to zero and Vce will be at or very near maximum.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ic is zero (or very close to zero) so Pd is zero (or very close to zero).

So Vce must be the village across the to notes when no current flows between them.

Is this homework? Show us the question in full.

Akshatha Venkatesh

Jan 14, 2017
Ic is zero (or very close to zero) so Pd is zero (or very close to zero).

So Vce must be the village across the to notes when no current flows between them.

Is this homework? Show us the question in full.

Below is the circuit I'm trying to analyze. If TM+ is 6v and Vdd5 is 5v fixed. I'm trying to guess the output and also calculate all the transitors power dissipation.

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    57.4 KB · Views: 167

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
None of the transistors will be turned on. The will be some dissipation due to the the approx 0.4V across the bias resistors in T201. All of the other transistorthan are off, so assuming the voltages you mention are stiff and the loads on the output are high impedance, 10E will be Vdd5, and 11 will be TM+.

This will not apply at some higher TM+ or lower Vdd5, but not knowing the ratio of the bias resistors, I can't say with any certainty how much they need to change.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Oh, and where did you get the idea that any of those transistors was operating in common base mode?

Akshatha Venkatesh

Jan 14, 2017
None of the transistors will be turned on. The will be some dissipation due to the the approx 0.4V across the bias resistors in T201. All of the other transistorthan are off, so assuming the voltages you mention are stiff and the loads on the output are high impedance, 10E will be Vdd5, and 11 will be TM+.

This will not apply at some higher TM+ or lower Vdd5, but not knowing the ratio of the bias resistors, I can't say with any certainty how much they need to change.
the T201 bias resistors are 22k each and T200 resistors are 10k

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, it's in common emitter config. It's pretty much impossible for these biased transistors to be anything else.

T201 will start turning on when TM+ exceeds Vdd5 by more than about 1.8V.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
When I refer to T201 I refer to the one on the left. At about 7V on TM+ both outputs will fall to zero.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
To enable Vbe of the left T201 to be at about 0.6V.

The transistors would be better named as T201a and T201b then.

Akshatha Venkatesh

Jan 14, 2017
To enable Vbe of the left T201 to be at about 0.6V.

The transistors would be better named as T201a and T201b then.
Now I'm confused , the PNP trans of T201 is in common base configuration, right ?
I know that the other two transistors on the right hand part are in common emitter config(since their emitters are connected to ground)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, if you wanted to describe T201a as common base you could, but all that would do is confuse you.

These are transistors designed for switching. Common base configuration is used as a current buffer or voltage amplifier. Here it is used as a switch when one voltage rises significantly above another. It is easier to consider Vdd5 as the input voltage, especially since the output is ground referenced, not referenced to Vdd5.

It might be different if there was a pull down between the collector and ground and the load was between Vdd5 and the collector -- that would look a lot more like common base.

When you see these biassed transistors you should think digital switching, so emitter followers and common base are not the places you should be quickly drawn to.

Akshatha Venkatesh

Jan 14, 2017
Well, if you wanted to describe T201a as common base you could, but all that would do is confuse you.

These are transistors designed for switching. Common base configuration is used as a current buffer or voltage amplifier. Here it is used as a switch when one voltage rises significantly above another. It is easier to consider Vdd5 as the input voltage, especially since the output is ground referenced, not referenced to Vdd5.

It might be different if there was a pull down between the collector and ground and the load was between Vdd5 and the collector -- that would look a lot more like common base.

When you see these biassed transistors you should think digital switching, so emitter followers and common base are not the places you should be quickly drawn to.
Thank You , I think that put a lot into perspective.

Akshatha Venkatesh

Jan 14, 2017

And can you please tell me what the Ic is of T200 when TM+ is 13.5 ? So that I can calculate the power dissipation of it.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not going to do all your homework for you.

You know how the circuit works now, you should be able to do it yourself.