Connect with us

Power circuit damage in handheld devices

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Raven Luni, May 10, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Greetings,

This is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. I've noticed that a really common problem with alot of devices is that if they get shorted somehow like being dropped in the toilet or even just too much moisture, one thing that happens to all of them (assuming they survive) is that battery life is nonexistent from there on - and its not fixed by replacing the battery.

I'm guessing there's some common aspect of these power circuits thats susceptible to damage. Would anyone know more about that?

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I don't know, but I speculate about that.
    Where I live, in the summertime I use an evaporative cooler to cool the house.
    On the newest devices, I've actually seen a spark at the power supply when I've
    turned-on devices I was working on.
    It could be that the newest devices have smaller circuit board footprints, and the humidity
    that collects on the boards is too much for the circuit with all of the components
    packed together so tightly.
    But I've also wondered about the quality of the components these days, especially from
    the pacific rim. I wonder about the construction of the componets themselves. What
    they're using (whether the materials are supposed to meet some maufacturer's specs
    or not), and whether or not they're ABLE to stand-up to moisture.
    The battery can be replaced, but if the materials the components are made of are inferior
    (to save money in the manufacturing process), whether or not they can withstand moisture.
    If the componets 'leak' electronically after that, the circuits might be draining the battery
    on a continuous basis, over and above the quiecient power drain.
    Like I said, I don't know. Maybe monitoring the battery in-circuit when the device
    is turned-off, over a period of time, might answer that question.

Ask a Question