Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power amp to balanced mic pad

gscrp

Mar 6, 2015
I built an o-pad with a 50W 8ohm and 1/4 680ohm shunt resistors with 8k series resistors to pad down the output of a crown power amp to mic level mixer input for testing purposes. I want to make sure this is the correct way to go about doing it or if there is a better way.

gscrp

Mar 6, 2015
what is an o-pad ?
attn49.gif

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
That is an attenuator pad

OK yes will work, probably not the best thing to do

so why do you want to attenuate the full output of an amplifier to a mic level?
ie. what is your specific purpose ? .... explain your whole project clearly

Dave

gscrp

Mar 6, 2015
I frequently use Smaart or Systune for measurement of audio systems. With this pad, I can characterize crossover networks and make detailed analysis for passband alignment as well. Its also useful in gauging amplifier clipping to accurately set limiters. While I do have an oscilloscope that can perform some of this to some degree, it doesnt substitute for the data I get from audio measurement software.

gscrp

Mar 6, 2015
I have no idea what they are ... have you a link please :)
The are both dual channel FFT measurement software used to test audio systems. If you ever go to a large scale live production, you'll likely find one of them running. Usually sound engineers use them in single channel RTA mode because it looks impressive to the layperson to see all the little frequencies bouncing up and down. More importantly, they are used to measure impulse, phase, and frequency response of a system so they can be properly time aligned and tuned. Normally you'd compare the reference signal (pink noise usually) to the measurement microphone. In my case, I need to also measure the filter networks of passive cross-overs among other such tests. Its not a simple matter of using a LCR and ESR meter to test coils and caps. I have tested this pad and it works great -but- im an audio engineer, not and electrical engineer and wanted to know if there's a better way to pad down tens of watts down to a balanced mic/line level xlr input.

http://systune.afmg.eu/
http://www.rationalacoustics.com/smaart/smaart-v-7/