Connect with us

Power adpater underrated?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by harcheng, Sep 3, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. harcheng

harcheng

Sep 3, 2012
    I have this sound bar from Dell (AX510PA) which is rated for 12V 1A. I bought this adpater on eBay that says to be rated for that same spec. But once installed, the sound bar seems to go on just for a millisecond then turns off. It takes a few minutes for the adapter to 'recharge' for me to be able to replicate the millisecond power-up. What does this mean? Should I buy an adapter with higher amperage (same voltage)?

Below is a video of what happens to the device:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9elp57wtq8uau5/VID_20120903_144318.mp4

Thanks guys :)

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Before you buy a new adpater you could perform some tests:
    1) does the soundbar work with another supply?
    2) does the adapter truly deliver 12V/1A? What happens to the voltage at the adapter's output if you connect it to the soundbar? You could also test the adapter using a 12V 10" light bulb (spare lamp from a car or motorbike)

3. harcheng

harcheng

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks for the response Harald. I've tried the sound bar with a different adapter and get the same results. I've tested this adapter I bought with a multitester and I get proper 12V. Haven't checked for amperage though.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    So there would appear to be a good probability that there is a fault with the soundbar rather then the several different power supplied you have tried

Dave

Ask a Question