Connect with us

Potting Compounds available in the UK

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by techie_alison, Sep 27, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hello,

    Just wondering what's available in the UK off the shelf as far as
    electronic encapsulation goes?

    I've been using this from Maplin's although it's incredibly viscous and
    quite wasteful when doing small runs;
    Is perhaps quite expensive too.

    It's being used to encase these things;

    Have done some Googling and most of the companies out there will refer
    you to distributers, eg. Maplin's. , or want to sell in vast quantities.

    Ideally I'd be looking for something like a 1kg rub of resin, and a
    syringe of hardner. Something which could be used as and when, perhaps
    with a shelf life of 6 months or so. I used to do die assembly when
    temping during the summer a few years back and we had this single
    solution syringe resin which had to be stored in a freezer and was
    highly toxic.

    Any ideas?? :)


  2. Bondo?

  3. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Loads of stuff. Depends on why you want to pot as to which you choose.
    RS and Farnell used to have a respectable range of potting compounds.
  4. john jardine

    john jardine Guest

    The Black stuff is highly effective and seems just as happy filling buried
    power cable splicing boxes as small electronic casings but is mucho
    expensive. Smaller packets even more so.
    As an aside, I've not seen mentioned here the use of 'Brown foam'. It's a 2
    pack polyurethane mix used by boat builders to fill buoyancy compartments.
    Nice thing is it's very cheap and hence can be used to fill or pot just
    about any volume.
    Just mix up a few spoons-full and pour in. Be sure to screw the lid down
    very quickly!.
  5. Jasen Betts

    Jasen Betts Guest

    polyurethane resin as used in making fibreglass composiite. (like
    canoes, surfboards, and fibreglass circuit boards...)

    it's a syrupy liquid resin and watery hardener
    costs about as much as house paint in similar quantities,
    lasts about as long on the shelf.
    moderately toxic I think - store away from foodstuffs, use with ventilation.

    probably not as good at thermal transfer as some other products
    is that an issue?

    Try "fibreglassing supplies" in the yellow pages.

  6. Fibreglass, mmmm, might check that out actually. Thanks :)
  7. <smiles> will check that out too :) It can't be any worse than the
    black resin finding it's way through every 0.1mm gap. :) Ended up
    adding blu-tac to my last shopping list ;-)
  8. kell

    kell Guest

    I reside not in the sceptered isle but FWIW I use ordinary
    %100 silicone door and window sealant, AKA caulk, available from the
    local hardware store. Takes time to cure all the way through, but it
    skins over quick. I don't know how well the stuff conducts heat.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day