Maker Pro
Maker Pro

potentiometer to control stepper motor without microcontroller

smiddle2012

Aug 2, 2012
Hey all,
I am working on an animatronics project for a robot competition coming up in about 5 months and I could use some help with designing a simple circuit. At least, I hope it is simple. :) I have a basic knowledge of electronics, so I can read a circuit diagram, I just have trouble design them. That is what I get for being a materials science guy.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a simple way, using timers, or transistors or something, to use a potentiometer to control a stepper motor. I want to turn the pot into a 2 direction joystick, each degree the potentiometer moves, moves the stepper motor one step. Is there a way to do this without a micro controller?

The reason I want to do this without a microcontroller is that I am hoping the circuit will be easier to build, thus easier to replace if it breaks, and also cheaper to get the parts for. If anyone here could help me or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, and gladly give you a credit at the competition, or even split the credit with you 50/50, this is really the only thing I can't seem to figure out. Thanks in advance, and for all the great help you guys give!
Sincerely,
SM

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The reason I want to do this without a microcontroller is that I am hoping the circuit will be easier to build, thus easier to replace if it breaks, and also cheaper to get the parts for.

Besides the initial investment all the above favor a micro...

Beyond that look for a 555 timer stepper motor circuits, kinda of like using a hammer to drive a screw, it will work but there are better ways to go about it...

smiddle2012

Aug 2, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Is there a link to a simple circuit example using a micro somewhere that you could direct me to? I don't know how to program a micro, so that is why I am trying to avoid them I guess, but if it will work better than I am all for it. I am not worried too much about the cost of the micro, just the time it would take to learn to program it.
SM

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Loaded question with lots of variables to consider before a real answer could be given...

For a primer, Google 'pic micro stepper motor' or 'avr micro stepper motor' and start reading...