Connect with us

Potentiometer replacement for M Audio bx5a studio monitor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by niffcreature, May 30, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. niffcreature

niffcreature

Aug 27, 2010
    I have an M Audio bx5a studio monitor with a broken potentiometer. and i lost it. any easy way to find out what value it would be, or maybe an educated guess? i have some pictures
    IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0934.jpg IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0936.jpg

2. niffcreature

niffcreature

Aug 27, 2010
    bought a 20k ohm pot, gonna see how it goes

3. niffcreature

niffcreature

Aug 27, 2010
    it didn't work. made a little more of a pop sound when i turned it on. the pop is higher pitched now. and no sound at all. any ideas what went wrong?

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

I don't see a single pot on the board.... you photos show a 3 trimpot unit .... never seen a triple trimmer before

so it cannot be replaced by a single pot

Dave

5. niffcreature

niffcreature

Aug 27, 2010
    what?? my photos show a broken volume knob. its not a triple trimmer. i think what you're seeing is the leads.

6. niffcreature

niffcreature

Aug 27, 2010
    the 3 circles are the same thing as seen in this photo

not the ones labeled 1, 2, 3 but the rivets that connect them to the board[​IMG]

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

far out mate ..... well I don't see one of those on your board .... that kinda makes it impossible for anyone to understand what you were talking about !!
    you should have shown pic of the broken pot instead
    no wonder I got it wrong !

So now that we all know what you are talking about .... the old one should have had a value on it either on the back of it or around the side of the metal casing
    there would have also be an A or B indicating if it was a linear or log pot

Ask a Question