Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Potentiometer As An ESC

Hiigarangh7

Nov 30, 2012
Hey, I'm new to the forums, and an electronic newbie. I'm intending to do a project involving RC equipment. But, before I do so, I'm starting off with smaller projects to lead up to the larger one.

Any how, I'm interested to figure out a way to use a potentiometer as an electronic speed controller. Is it possible for it to be just as good as an ESC purchased from the market? I prefer to make one, than to spend more money on an ESC, that I probably won't be needing for my project.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm assuming your referring to Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control a small DC motor. The kit price for this (Ebay for one) can't be undercut by you building from scratch.

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You might want to add the link Chris :)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
One thing to note about electronic speed controllers for RC equipment, if you are powering your radio from the same power source (common nowadays, not so much so back when I was in the hobby with sweeping rheostat speed controls) you are going to want a 'smart' controller so that it cuts off drive power before it totally drains the battery... Because the last thing you want to lose is radio control and thus have no chance of recovery... And if it's for a heli you want ever further 'smart' tech that throttles you down at some point and/or notifies you of low battery so you have both enough power to land and while still maintaining radio control...

As CD stated you are almost certainly better off purchasing and over the counter one with these features built in vs designing your own, even more so if you just want a dump PWM motor speed controller... That is unless it's just a proof of concept challenge of building your own...

Here is an example of 'dumb' speed controllers...

Radio friendly http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-10-A-Br...racter_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item45f1b4c380

Manual pot crank http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-5V-4...253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc0fff6d

Note Amp rating will need to be factored in based on your motors...

Last edited: