Connect with us

pot difference

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by calin666, Apr 6, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. calin666

calin666

Nov 6, 2011
    I am building a variable voltage regulator, and have a question about the pot I am looking at using.
    The pot that came with the kit is a 50k pot. The physical dimensions are not something I like, and I am looking at maybe using a 1k pot instead.
    The input will 8.4 - 6.2 volts.
    Out put will need to be at least, max, 5.5 volts and down. Per the specs of the kit, I will get that with the stock configuration.
    If I change the pot to the 1k pot, will this alter the performance to less than my needs?
    This will not be a constant use. The regulator will only be used for maybe 10 seconds at a time, with time in between use for cool down.

2. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    you will decrease the sensitivity of the voltage output and will increase power dissipation in the potentiometer. Other then that, you should still be able to get the range you need.

3. calin666

calin666

Nov 6, 2011
    Outstanding.
    Thank you!

Ask a Question