Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Possible?

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
I have a statue in the yard of an angel with her hands cupped. I’d like to build a little battery powered circuit that turns on a yellow LED driven by a light sensitive diode? The idea is that the LED comes on only when it’s dark out. Is this possible. Does anyone have a simple schematic I can use?
Thank you

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
How is it powered?
If you search under solar lights you will find lots of circuits similar to those used in cheap garden LED systems.
Generally they work by when the voltage on the battery exceeds that frm the solar cell, they light. When the solar cell exceeds the batery, they light.
Could look for similar for photodiode or adapt if you really wanted just a battery.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Lots of "automatic night light" circuits out there, e.g. this simple one.
Or buy a cheap solar garden light, dismantle it and mount it to the statue.

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
That’s perfect Harald. I found one as well but the one you linked to is better displayed and simple. With every circuit, I try to learn something, so I’d rather build it. Thanks for the link. I’ll use it

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
How is it powered?
If you search under solar lights you will find lots of circuits similar to those used in cheap garden LED systems.
Generally they work by when the voltage on the battery exceeds that frm the solar cell, they light. When the solar cell exceeds the batery, they light.
Could look for similar for photodiode or adapt if you really wanted just a battery.
Thanks for the info. Nanreen888