Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Possible to upgrade hifi?

Griffinballs

Jul 23, 2015
Hi all

Randomish thought.
My hifi has a pretty crap sound due to it being...well crap. Its a goodmans mini/midi system. The sound on it isnt terrible but two things, one, its got a constant hiss on the headphones or the speakers on any mode. It never stops, if the unit is on it has the hiss.
Two, sound quality gets a bit poor at higher volumes.
I've read about DAC upgrades and things like that but I guess that's for proper amps and the like. I know ultimately I'll need better equipment for better sound but if there is some cheap upgrade I can do to tide my over, why not.

Thanks for any help

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all

Randomish thought.
My hifi has a pretty crap sound due to it being...well crap. Its a goodmans mini/midi system. The sound on it isnt terrible but two things, one, its got a constant hiss on the headphones or the speakers on any mode. It never stops, if the unit is on it has the hiss.
Two, sound quality gets a bit poor at higher volumes.
I've read about DAC upgrades and things like that but I guess that's for proper amps and the like. I know ultimately I'll need better equipment for better sound but if there is some cheap upgrade I can do to tide my over, why not.

Thanks for any help
Honestly, not worth it...
You can swap out a DAC, but that may not be the culprit...

All audio equipment has multiple parts... the hissing could be caused from poor shielding or incorrect positioning of traces on the circuit board... poor design or filtering on the power supply, or amplifier.
The DAC is responsible for converting 'digital' signals to analogue audio, which is employed when playing CDs, or other digital media. (Sometimes accompanied by a Codec IC for decoding the digital media for the DAC.
If this issue occurs with tape, or line-in, your problem is elsewhere.

To find and repair this issue (If it's worth it) you should have an oscilloscope and a signal generator (or test tone of some sort) as a bare minimum.