Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Possible switch overload?

Lol999

Feb 16, 2017

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
COB? chip on board?
One switch, two drivers? The switch appears to be SPST, one circuit.
Perhaps you could share the circuit/schematic you plan.

Use this switch to switch no more than 12 volts or 20 amp.
If you are connecting your 20watt leds on 12 volts, then either or both are ok.
Your power supply determines the voltage.
With the voltage decided, the load, your LEDS (and drivers if the drivers are switched), determine the current (amps).

Lol999

Feb 16, 2017
the switch only needs to be spst because it will control the current to both led cobs which will either be both "on" or both "off".
even though the switch is rated 12v it has current handling capaccity of 20A. the larger cob is 20-40v but only 0.6A, is this then likely to cause damage to the switch?

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
What's a COB? You refer to the LEDs as "cobs"?
You seem to have two drivers.
The driver at the end of the link is 100 volt to 265 volt input. Too much for your switch.
As you have two drivers, cannot see how one switch controls two drivers, except on the input side. The switch will not do this, so that's not it.
The driver has an output to drive the LEDs that is 20-40 volts. The actual voltage likely depends on what LEDs it is driving. The voltage values of the range is greater than your switch rating. So you should not be using this switch to switch this output side.
Sorry, but I cannot picture any configuration that matches your descriptions. Given that the conclusion is suspect.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
the switch only needs to be spst because it will control the current to both led cobs which will either be both "on" or both "off".

As #2 says, you cannot switch the LED's with a spst switch as they have 2 independant drivePerhaps you have worded it incorrectly as if you were to switch the power to the two 12v
"drivers" then that would be ok.

Edit:- ah yes, didn't see the link to the HV drivers, sorry.

Op, the best way to avoid any misconception about what you intend to do is draw up a simple diagram and post that first up.
Even if it is only a "block" one line diagram.

Last edited:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
If I take everything you wrote literally, then no, you cannot use a single SPST switch. It does not matter that both will either be on or off, it matters that they have to remain separate circuits because they operate at different voltages.

If you had instead wrote that you intend for this SPST switch to switch the INPUT to both drivers, that would make sense and is the right way to do it. Then, since these are mains AC input drivers, would mean you need a SPST switch rated for your location, AC mains voltage.

If I am wrong, it would be due to what others suggested already, that you need to be more clear about the configuration and a diagram would help.

However based on the other parts I think I have it right, that you have the wrong switch, want something rated for your mains voltage (110VAC or 220VAC) wired between the mains AC and both drivers input, and considering the LEDs, 1 amp rating would be enough.

Based on what you described, there is no reason to keep the LED driver always powered by mains and switch their outputs instead of inputs. It would just waste power and make them more subject to power surges due to always being live, and is an even worse situation when what you're connecting to always live AC power is a generic cheap chinesium driver. I would not want that live unattended, only when I am there to have switched it on and have switched it off when I leave that area.

I hope you are going to put a carefully sized fuse on this circuit and I mean locally, not depending on a (whatever ~) 15A mains AC premises breaker or fuse.

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I'm just wondering will the switch, and interestingly the led in the end, cope with the load?
It is likely you will damage either the switch or its indicator LED because the LED in the toggle handle of the switch is designed to work from a 12 VDC automobile electrical supply. This indicator LED probably has a built-in current-limiting resistor to allow the LED to illuminate without damage to the LED when supplied with 12 VDC.

Using the switch in the output of the 100 watt LED driver would subject both the indicator LED in the switch and switch contacts to excessive voltage. And this would not allow you to turn on (or off) both LED drivers from the same switch.

Using the switch you have selected in the AC line input of either LED driver would subject both the switch and its LED indicator to voltages beyond their rating, but a single SPST toggle switch of appropriate voltage and current rating that controls the line voltage input to both drivers is the only way to control both drivers from one SPST toggle switch. So choose another switch, one without an LED indicator to keep things simple, since you won't be able to use the indicator LED with AC line voltage without extra circuitry.

Many thanks to @Nanren888, @Bluejets, and @dave9 for their perseverance and pertinent questions in clearing up this matter.

The OP, @Lol999 needs to do some homework vis a vis circuits before posting questions with insufficient information, while nevertheless expecting valid answers. Most of us here quit polishing our crystal balls years ago. It is a waste of time trying to make sense of "cloudy" so-called information.

Last edited:

Lol999

Feb 16, 2017
thank you gents for your patience dealing with a rank amateur who seems to have had his moron head on when he thought this post up (I was tired at the time).
I have since ordered a mains capable toggle switch and will use this to control the power to the circuit, don't know what I was thinking, or rather not thinking trying to mix voltages and expect them to retain their individuality. d'oh.
crystal balls? you can get cream for that.