Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Possible PC motherboard failure?

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I built a desktop computer about a year ago. Everything was assembled carefully and correctly. It worked up until a week ago. When i was messing around with some networking stuff trying to bring internet to the computer, i got tired and went to bed just left it on. It went to sleep like normal and i thought nothing of it. Well i let it for about 15 days like that. Tried waking it back up last week and nothing....so i shut it down by holding the power button. Unplugged all the cables and opened the case. Nothing looked amiss so i reseated all the cables and closed it back up. Plug it in, start it up, and....fans spin up full speed, no wind down to normal. No visual no sign of life. I just ordered a Mobo speaker so i cant speak of any beep codes yet. I cant accept that it just fried by sitting there asleep. Its on a surge protector. Am i missing something here or is it a fried motherboard?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It could also be a power supply. Is it producing a power good signal?

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I checked voltages on all the leads from the psu. 12v measured on most everything. A few may have measured 7v. I dont remember all of them

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
What psu are you using?. Most computer psu's have several rails, 3.3v, 5v, -12v and +12v.
The fact that the fans spin is better than not spinning!. Means there is at least power to them.
How did you set up the bios?, read from C: (your HDD only) or from usb too if connected?.
Could be software related.
If you can connect a different HDD,CD, USB or SD etc with (your operating system), it may well work again without the internet updates that you have added.
Try again and measure the voltages..

Martin

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I initially booted from a usb drive. But i loaded it on the hdd. Ill measure again and get the model# on the psu