Connect with us

Portable Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by nikolay_b, Mar 9, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. nikolay_b

nikolay_b

Mar 9, 2014
    Hi guys I'm a complete beginner when it comes to electronics. All I've done is wired some LEDs for a school project but I'm good with soldering. I want to make a portable speaker system with a LiPo battery but I don't how the circuit should look. I want to use 2 speaker both 4". They are 6watt and 25 ohm each I know I need an amplifier but I have no idea what kind. Could someone please attach an image of how the setup should look (as simple as possible please) :D . I would also be really grateful if someone could let me know if the speakers should be in series or parallel in order to get the best sound possible out of them. Thanks in advance!

2. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    I recommend looking on digikey.com You can really filter the specifics for what you need. What voltage is the LiPo battery? And do you know the mAh of the battery? I've purchased quite a few different audio amps and tinkered with many.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  3. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    You've really got my attention with this one.

And a link:
    Here this one has a sample circuit you could look at and it should drive both of those speakers at 6watts a piece. Minimum voltage I believe is 9.5v... hard to say what the current draw would be with it cranked.

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi nikolay_b and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Are you SURE the speakers are 25 ohms? That's a very unusual impedance.

Do you want stereo or mono?

Have you chosen a LiPo battery?

5. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    I thought 25 ohms was quite odd myself. From my experience I typically see 4 or 8 ohm. Sometimes 12 or 16.

6. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    I recently went out on a limb and purchased some audio amps that I'm unfamiliar with. I picked up an LA4425A which is a 5 MONO amp but it runs on as low as 5V. The figure part # is LA4425A-E0S-ND. It has a very simple sample schematic, I stress the word very. A whole 5 pins to worry about, 3 capacitors and that's it. I included a potentiometer on mine just because I wanted volume control. But I was pleasantly surprised, with my device playing at about 1/6 of its total volume and a 5th pot turned almost all the way down (high resistance) and it is LOUD! Anyways, I definitely recommend this one, I haven't checked it's current consumption so I cannot vouch for efficiency but the sound quality is nice and it's super simple to set up.

Ask a Question