Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Portable small smoke machine

Gibrril

Oct 9, 2013
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a portable smoke generator for a magic performance.
The entire thing is based on the use of an electronical cigarette that is operated using a push button to activate the vapor.

What I would like to do is replace the button on the cigartte with a wireless operated button the control of that button would be attached to the leg of the performer in such a way that by pushing the knees together, the button would be activated and smoke would appear. (the performer would be seated)

since the smoke machine itself needs to be conceiled it has to be as small as possible

which components would you advise?
How should this be done?

This would be my first D.I.Y electronical project, so every piece of information is welcome!

Thanks a lot,

Gibrril

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The first thing I'd do is check into the chemical they sell for electronic 'fogging' for
special effects. Maybe you can use that in your e-cigarette itself, and figure-out
a small propellent device to spread (or fan) the 'smoke'.
These 'fogging' machines are pretty prevelant in the U.S., used for parties and the like.
Maybe they're readily available wherever you're at.

Gibrril

Oct 9, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!
What I have so far, is an e-cigarette that has some tubing attached to the end to bring the smoke to where it needs to be. Thus far, there seems to be enough suction in the tube to drag the smoke along.
Once it comes out of the tube, it forms a small cloud which is exactly what I want.
So far so good.

The only issue is the fact that the button on the e-cigarette has to be pushed to produce the smoke. In other words, the e-cigarette needs to be touched. Even though the cigarette is hidden away and invisible to the naked eye, the fact that one hand has to go some place to the side and push down on something really gives it away at this stage.
This is why I wanted to turn it into a remote operated e-cigarette.
The setup as I have it now, allows for everything to be secretly hidden away in a small carpet that can be carried on stage without anything attached. It can be put anywhere (on the floor, on a table), it will still produce a misterious little cloud of smoke (which is used to make small objects appear and vanish on the carpet)
I really would like to preserve this freedom: it's just a carpet, no wires that run off to the side, no wires that connect the carpet to the performer. Everything looks very clean and is very easy to handle. The carpet can be shown on all sides, rolled up and spread out without fear off revealing any "secrets". If only the button on the e-cigarette could be activated without physically pushing down on it, this would be perfect for me. :)

I hope this additional information helps to solve my problem.

Thanks again,
Gibrril

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Well, I hope somebody here has a practical experience idea you can use for this.
A switch is a switch. The one on your e-cigarette just happens to be a push-button switch.
If you know somebody that dabbles in electronics, they may be able to help with this.
There are a wide variety of remote controlled everything anymore. RC cars, helicopters,
power switches, etc....
What you want, is to replace the push-button switch with the activator switch from one
of the remote control devices. You can go expensive, but you don't need to, there are
a lot of cheap RC devices somebody with a little electronics knowledge can strip from
the RC device, and integrate into your e-cigarette. They you use the RC control box, to
activate the switch.
Maybe somebody here will come-up with a better idea, but that's what I'd look into
(because I know electrical hobby work).
Good luck, maybe you'll get a simpler idea here from someone else.

Gibrril

Oct 9, 2013
Thanks again!

That sounds great to me!
Is there anybody here or are there any good tutorials or walkthroughs available that show how such a proces is done?

Thanks a lot,
Gibrril