Connect with us

Popping sub woofer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Leeerox, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Leeerox

Leeerox

Jan 26, 2015
    Hi ,, after my first successful post i thght il have a go at a 2nd inquiry!
    Ok, so i have an onkyo tx 607 av amp powering a powered sub-woofer, has been fine for 3yrs but has started randomly 'popping'.after initial search this turned up faulty capacitors could be the cause, which iv examined for any sign of distortion or leakage but all 'seem' ok any ideas on how to rule out capacitors or any other ideas?? Thanks in advance

2. Leeerox

Leeerox

Jan 26, 2015
    The sub is a Tannoy SFX 5.1 !

3. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Popping subs could indicated a D.C level being applied to them. This could indicate a capacitor as they are supposed to block D.C. You could either replace the capacitor or measure the output with a multi-meter to see if there is and D.C voltage on the output.
    Adam

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Carry out the steps above, but please also give more detail about when the device 'pops'.
    Does this only occur on power-up or power-down? Does this happen randomly when listening to music/audio?

5. Leeerox

Leeerox

Jan 26, 2015
    Yes, its completley random,, dont see no pattern,, ie hasnt done it once all evening whilst its been on. there a numerous capacitors inside, but il get the multimeter out!

6. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Measure across the speaker terminal in standby, no audio.
    Adam

7. Leeerox

Leeerox

Jan 26, 2015
    Ok, so heres the inards!

Attached Files:

8. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    On the green PCB top right of it is a funny marking I can't make out, looks like a track with a strange shape. But it might be the lighting.
    Adam

9. Leeerox

Leeerox

Jan 26, 2015
    Well spotted,, its a grounding wire, i think ,, goes to a 'buzz bar' and transformer mounting plate. Looks like its soldered straight onto the track???! with a blob of glue,, seems secure tho

Attached Files:

Ask a Question