Connect with us

polarity help!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by fundash, Jul 16, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. fundash

fundash

Jul 16, 2010
    I am a very heavy sleeper and so I am adding a 3.5mm jack to the alarm to plug my computer speakers into for louder volume. I really am wondering which wire is positive/negative that goes to the speaker. Both wires are grey, but one has a pink stripe on it. does this mean that the wire is to positive or that it is ground?

btw,I use conventional flow. not electron

here is a pic: [​IMG]

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    If you're talking about isolated speakers here it hardly matters, but if there are common grounds of some form involved then it could.
    But to give a certain answer we'll need a better description/explanation/picture of the items/wires/pcb's. Wire colors like these can't be used to tell anything.

3. fundash

fundash

Jul 16, 2010
    well, all i'm doing is pluging these:[​IMG]

into this:[​IMG]

using this:
    [​IMG]

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok, it seems we are dealing with stereo here, is that so? We'll need a pic of where those speaker wires are connected to the pcb, preferably from both sides if possible.
    I figure the computer speakers are powered, with a volume knob.

5. fundash

fundash

Jul 16, 2010
    The speakerss are not pluged into any pcb, just the wall adapter and I know that the jack goes ground, left and right positive. I don't know if the polarity even matters in this case because sound quality doesn't matter.

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm sorry, I meant the speakers in the alarm clock. I believe your first picture was from that?
    If you intend to use both right & left channels then there's a common ground that has to be used for the jack. Getting that wrong will short out the output amp in the clock.

7. fundash

fundash

Jul 16, 2010
    The clock only has one speaker, the other side is just for looks :p:rolleyes: so, What i did with the jack was connect the left and right speakers because otherwise the sound would only end up comming from one computer speaker.

I'll have a picture of the pcb this morning, have to goto bed now, goodnight :)

P.S. Also, I want to get this right the first time as on the back, it clearly says "DO NOT OPEN, RISK OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK!" I feel that after I plug it in, that warning might actually become true. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
Ask a Question