Connect with us

Poked a small hole in the rubber sub woofer surround

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Casca, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Casca

    Casca Guest

    While screwing my new subwoofer into it's cabinet, I poked a hole/tore
    the rubbery speaker with the screwdriver. The sub still works fine
    and doesn't seem to be causing any issues. Anyone know of a good way
    to repair the hole?

    Thanks to all who answer.
  2. Bill Bolle

    Bill Bolle Guest

    Try vinyl cement. Some supply houses have speaker repair cements.
    Any cement that stays pliable should work.
  3. I repaired the surrounds on a couple of speakers with rubber cement. I
    would align the broken bits and hold them in position until the glue got
    tacky. It doesn't last forever, but ....
  4. gothika

    gothika Guest

    Rubber cement is good as was posted.
    I've also used silicone and if you can get your hands on some, there's
    cold set butyl rubber cement. Some industrial rubber houses carry it.
    If you use silicone try and get the most pliant/softest you can find.
    Stay away from the liquis silicone used to seal windshield gaskets as
    it starts out as a runny liqiud but harderns rock hard.
    The cheaper brands of clear all purpose silicone usually used for
    light/cold gasket work will do fine. Also aquarium silicone.
    Just use a small artists/craft brush and some fine gauze.
    Take a small patch of the gauze, just enough to overlapp to the edges
    of the hole and give it a light coat of silicone.
    Then press it to the hole via the rear of the surround.
    Then put a light coat on the front of the hole.
    Let dry for several hours.
    I've even used this type of silcone to coat the entire surround to
    seal it from rot.
    It can change the loading characteristics of the woofer, but so far
    all I've noticed in mine was a tendency for the woofer to develop a
    tighter bass.
  5. Guest

    Just be careful that the solvents in vinyl cement may dissolve some of
    the cheap foam surrounds
  6. Ken G.

    Ken G. Guest

    Is the surround real rubber ? or is it that gray foam . I have seen
    alot of glued rubber car woofers and none of the glues used lasted ..
    wont adhear to the rubber .
    IF it is a very small puncture i would push any rubber bits back in
    place to make the hole as flat as possible then apply a very small 2
    drops or so of superglue just enough to get into the cracks and not all
    over the place .
    super glue holds rubber very well but it dries hard thats why only use a
    little .
    If the puncture or hole is big then superglue is not the answer .
  7. putty

    putty Guest

    just use silicone sealant. Next.
  8. JURB6006

    JURB6006 Guest

    For this, a hole in the actual rubber foam crap or whatever it is, I agree with
    those who say to use silicone.

    However, when the foam gets separated from the basket or the cone, hot glue is
    alot better. Generally I have the speaker running at a low level and move the
    cone around to be sure it's in the right position. Just tack it with a drop or
    two, then turn it up a bit, if it doesn't rub, seal up the rest.

    In <u>your</u> case however, use the silicone, VERY sparingly, and just fill
    the hole, DO NOT smear it all over the place.

    And DO fix it, the air blowing through that hole will cause premature failure
    of the foam surround

  9. Jerry G.

    Jerry G. Guest

    There are specialized cements that are pliable and made for speakers. I
    have had great success with contact cement. GC is one of the manufactures of
    contact cement used in the electronics industry. If you call around to some
    of the electronics suppliers I am sure you will find something. It is best
    to fix it, to maintain the speaker's performance.



    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG

    While screwing my new subwoofer into it's cabinet, I poked a hole/tore
    the rubbery speaker with the screwdriver. The sub still works fine
    and doesn't seem to be causing any issues. Anyone know of a good way
    to repair the hole?

    Thanks to all who answer.
  10. Casca

    Casca Guest


    Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. Great responses indeed.
    Since silicone was the most popular answer, I am going to go with
    that. I found some 100% aquarium silicon at Home Depot so I'll be
    applying it this weekend.

    As for the woofer, it is a brand new replacement sub I was putting in
    it's new home (speaker cabinet). My damned screwdriver slipped and
    poked a hole in the rubbery/foam gray surround. Its actually not a
    hole so much as it is a tear somewhat in the shape of an X. The tears
    are probably a quarer inch or less. The dont even go across the width
    of the foam. I should be ok using the silicone.

    Thanks again.
  11. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Goodyear rubber cement
  12. Ken G.

    Ken G. Guest

    Ok sence we now know its foam not rubber you should be using fabric glue
    Rubber cement will dry out & crack in time Silcone glue has acids in it
    that will eventually eat at the foam .

    You can listen to these quick fix garage repair guys or do it right ....
    your call .
  13. Casca

    Casca Guest

    Any suggestions on how to apply the glue.

  14. dragon

    dragon Guest

    I worked for a speaker repair and radio repair shop and if the hole is
    not to big use a dab of finger nail polish. It works for pin holes and

  15. gothika

    gothika Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:18:24 -0700 (MST), (Ken G.)
    I'm not a "quick fix garage repair guy".
    I built custom sound systems for home and theatre application for
    nearly four decades.
    Go do your research on released volitile compounds in silicone sealant
    like I have and you'd know that aquarium silicone sealant is a near
    "no acid" compound. It's food grade silicone which means no or less
    than 1% VOCS released during cure or during static life. IT HAS to be
    safe or else it''d kill the fish.
    THERE are cold set rubber solutions for sealing/repairing damaged foam
    and rubberized cloth surrounds if one's willing to spend the money.
    You have to be in the speaker building/repair industry before they'll
    sell them to you and then the minumim purchase is for a gallon can,
    usually costing between 70 and 150 bucks depending on whether you buy
    the name brand top grade or the cheap no name stuff made in the
    pacific rim.
    In the old days we'd recone/recoil speakers for custom applications.
    I have more than a passing familiarity with all of the materials that
    go into building a speaker from the core out to the frame.
    Low grade non volitile silicone is a good fix for most of todays foam
    surround speakers. Considering that most of even the better name
    speakers are built with the cheapest materials with a life expectancy
    of 2-4 years of normal use any possible degradation in the foam from
    silicone outgassing is the least of one's concern. You'll get more
    harmful compounds from regular household carpet or even the glue used
    to bind the mdf that makes up the speaker cabinet.
    I have a number of large woofers that I rubberized the foam surround
    on that are still going strong after several years.
    I have cone failure more often than surround breakdown.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day